Do you ever get home from work around 5-6 pm and wonder, like me, is it too early to eat dinner? Usually I have dinner made by 8 pm on normal nights due to everyone’s hectic schedules, but I am always looking for things to munch on before dinner and they’re usually unhealthy snacks. Especially now with the wedding coming up, I need to start snacking smarter and find healthier options for those brief moments.
This recipe was perfect for me because chickpeas are so versatile with all of the combinations we could do. I chose to do a sweet, salty combo, but I know I will be trying some of the spicy options as well as the savory ones.
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Drain and rinse chickpeas and pat down with a towel. Toss them in the melted coconut oil and spread out on sheet pan (parchment paper on the sheet pan will allow the chickpeas to not stick) in one thin layer
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until they are crispy looking
- While baking, combine spices and honey together
- Toss chickpeas in honey spice mixture and lay on baking sheet in a single layer and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes until really crispy (they shouldn’t be soft in the center at all)
- Serve when completely cooled