When I was sitting at work yesterday thinking of what I was going to make for dinner, I couldn’t help but remember a new Thai restaurant just opened up by our house. The hubby and I have been wanting to try it FOREVER it seems like, but since both of us are on a budget at the moment, I decided to concoct a recipe of my own!
This Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Thigh recipe was perfect for a inexpensive, delicious dinner! I had the majority of the ingredients at home, so all I needed to get was a couple little things that I didn’t have lying around.
I made enough curry chicken for the hubby and I last night and then some for lunch today, but you can play around with the portions as much as you want!
- 6 – 7 chicken thighs (depending on how much everyone eats)
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (I added a lot because I love the flavor of garlic, but add as much as you want – although, I would add at least 3 cloves)
- 1 can (13 oz) lite coconut milk
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (I bought a small jar of the red Thai curry paste)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 – 6 cups jasmine rice (this also depends on how much everyone eats)
- 3 chopped green onions
- handful of chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in deep skillet. When hot, add the chicken thighs and cook until browned on each side.
- Remove chicken from skillet, and add red curry paste, grated ginger and minced garlic and combine to form a paste until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, salt, pepper and chicken broth and stir to combine all ingredients, getting all the brown “crud” off the bottom of the pan (The crud adds a TON of flavor to any dish!) Add cooked chicken back in and nestle in the coconut sauce.
- Place lid on top of the pan and simmer medium – low for about 15 minutes
- Serve with chopped green onions and chopped cilantro on top