I don’t know about you, but I am always a fan of doing the least amount of dishes possible! Casseroles and big family meals, even though its just the two of us, are perfect for those nights when you don’t want to spend your whole night in the kitchen. Not to mention, LEFTOVERS! 😝 I hateeeeee getting up earlier than I have to in the morning to make myself lunch; having a lot of leftovers from the casseroles give me a whole week of food sometimes!
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 large handfuls spinach
- 2 cups Italian flavored tomato sauce
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs (any will work – I just had these in my pantry)
- 1 small tomato
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 packet cheesy taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375° and spray baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan and cook onions until fragrant and translucent
- Add garlic in and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add in ground turkey and combine until browned. Drain excess liquid
- Add in cheesy taco seasoning and combine
- In ground turkey mixture, add in spinach and cook until wilted, then add the cooked quinoa
- Transfer to baking dish. In baking dish with the ground turkey quinoa mixture, add in tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix until everything is combined thoroughly.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Add cheddar cheese to top and cook for another 5 minutes or until browned and bubbling.
- Serve with chopped cherry tomatoes, green onions and/or a side of sour cream 🍅